Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Review: Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray

16060716
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Publication Date: August 25, 2015
Rating: 4 Stars
 
After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to "read" objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, "America's Sweetheart Seer." But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities...

Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?
(Goodreads)


 Lair of Dreams is the second book in the Diviners series, and it was great! I loved it. In the past I've had an issue keeping track of books that have had a lot of characters, but Libba Bray is fantastic at writing in such a way that makes it's easy to keep all the names in order. I loved meeting the new characters, and rediscovering the old ones. I laughed, I cried, I was surprised, and at the end of the day, what else can you ask for. I must say that Evie is crazy annoying and I know she's supposed to be. All she's ever wanted was to be noticed and recognized and that's an annoying tendency regardless of weather the person is real or fictional.

Snaps to historical accuracy. There have been authors in the past who'll write historical fiction, and ignore all the parts that make them uncomfortable. Am I saddened by the issues between Memphis and Theta? Yes. Am i heartbroken that Henry has to hide who he really is? Yes. Did I almost cry in that one scene with Ling? Of course I did, but that's the way life was back in the roaring 20's, it wasn't all bootleggers, flappers, and swanky sayings. I think you only do your work a dis-service if you chose to pretend it didn't happen. Not to mention the dis-service it does to the people who lived through that time and had to fight to exist in this country. 

Side note: I really could have done without the love triangle though, it's not adding anything to the story.

Other than that, I loved this book and now I have to wait a whole year for the next one. That's just cruel and unusual.

0 comments:

Post a Comment