Thursday, May 16, 2013

Google saves me again

I spent all of Tuesday night agonizing on how I could make yesterdays Anime club different from the rest (where we watched two episodes and drew pictures) and dove through the web looking for ideas to steal. Somehow I stumbled across Anime Bingo. The idea is to create a bingo card with squares that say things like "The Fall", "Wind blows through hair", "cry me a river", "wide eyes" and a ton of others. A group of kids watch an episode or two of an anime, and as the things in the boxes happen you mark the square, when someone wins bingo, or anime, you give them a prize, everyone clears their board, and you keep playing. I think part of the success of this program was that we were using starburst to mark our cards (and chips, I don't know why though), and I gave a mini chocolate bar to who ever won. The kids seemed to have the most fun trying to figure out if something in the show counted as an action on the bingo card, so there was a lot of, "Does that count as a blush" followed by "no that's not a blush that's a temperature", and "Yes! she cried, it counts as cry me a river" followed by "no that doesn't count, it wasn't a big cry, it was the trickle of a tear". I think the kids had a lot of fun, and to hook them, I said that the anime meeting we had at the end of the summer could be cosplay.

Because our flyers are seasonal, the one that all the kids got back in January only go up to May. I had to routinely say "yes there will be anime club this summer, the summer flyer should be out soon with all the dates" I figure since they ask, it must mean they're having fun. Now on to start brainstorming for next month, someone said Anime Jeopardy, but that might be a smidgen too advance for me.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of your Anime cosplay! Those always look like so much fun. I love the Anime bingo idea...if we end up with an anime club here (once we get our new building...) I may try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a lot of fun. The kids were talking about it today. I'm thinking candy sushi for next month. And there will definitely be pictures for the cosplay.

    ReplyDelete