Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

6077869
The streets of San Francisco would be lined with hardcovers if rare book expert Brooklyn Wainwright had her way. And her mentor wouldn't be lying in a pool of his own blood on the eve of a celebration for his latest book restoration.

With his final breath he leaves Brooklyn a cryptic message, and gives her a priceless and supposedly cursed copy of Goethe's Faust for safekeeping.

Brooklyn suddenly finds herself accused of murder and theft, thanks to the humorless, but attractive, British security officer who finds her kneeling over the body. Now she has to read the clues left behind by her mentor if she is going to restore justice.
(Goodreads)

 
As a librarian, when I stumble across a book series called the "Bibliophile Mysteries" I MUST check it out. It is a literal requirement. I really liked this book. It kind of reminded me of the Stephanie Plum novels, it was a cozy mystery. Brooklyn does book restoration, and when her mentor is killed at a museum gathering, the restoration of the infamous and possibly cursed <i>Faust</i> is passed along to her. While trying to discover the murdered Brooklyn finds herself is a plethora of random situations.

One of my favorite parts of this book was learning about Brooklyn's family. Her brothers and sisters, her hippie parents, and my favorite Guru Bob. I loved Guru Bob!

The book was a quick read with an ending I didn't see coming, and a hot British cop. Perfect for a rainy day with a cup of tea. The characters were simple, but well developed with individual identities (I don't think I've ever read a book where the main character grew up in a commune). Is the book going to win any awards? Probably not. But do I plan to read the second one? Yup.

4 Stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment