Monday, April 8, 2013

*Sigh*

Alright, so I'm not sure how to go about expressing my...feelings (yeah we'll go with that word) about how parents view the youth room here so I'll just ramble and hope I feel better when I'm done.

So I'm a Youth Assistant Librarian, the floor that I work on caters to children between the ages of birth (It's always so weird to say that but we do often have newborns up here), to seventeen... because after that technically you're an adult. Because this is the youth floor, also known as the Graham Room, we have materials here for older teens, some how a lot of parents forget that and I'm often challenged on weather or not certain materials should be here.

I recently had a man hand me the Battleship DVD. He looks at it and says that he found it in the wall with the other DVD and asked if it should be up here, I said yes. he paused and asked "it should?" and I again said yes, then he sort of rolled his eyes and proceeded to check it out. I'm to the point where I'm so tired of explaining it. This is the youth room not the children's room. This floor is for people who haven't yet reached voting age. We're going to have materials such as Battleship, Ghost Rider, Sherlock Holmes, and the Social Network. We're going to have books such as Twilight, Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, Uglies, Divergent and more. It's always been that way here and will continue to be so.

I think the problem is that there is an unequal ratio of children to YA materials. *Sigh* I'm not sure what to do except get use to it. I think my biggest issue is the reaction to the fact that yes we do have movies rated PG-13, if you don't want your child to watch it, then don't check out the movie. Simple, problem solved.

Oh well, I'll put it behind me and move on I guess, but it is slightly annoying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment