Thursday, July 18, 2013

Gone- Review

  In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...
(goodreads.com)





 I am way late in the game and I'm okay with that. I decided to pick up this book when I was flipping through growing magazine and saw the most recently released books in the series. I'd have to give this book three and a half to four stars, and the simple reason, it was incredibly creative. The plot line of this book was so unique that I feel like, even if I didn't like the characters (which I did), I would have finished the book yesterday. Not only is the idea of people dissapearing literally in front of you eyes so fantastical, when you add that to secret super powers one of two things is bound to happen
1) a cheesy book or 
2) and awesome book.
 I can't figure out how much detail to go into, without ruining the book, so I'm just going to type.

Sam is our main character, he's a beach loving 14 year old who's kind of famous because a few year prior he saved a school bus full of kids when the driver had a heart attack. Being the good guy that he is though he's pretty modet about the whole situation and would rath hang out with his friend Quinn in the water, than be the leader of the pack. 

After the big "poof", as they're calling it, Sam, Quinn (his best friend), Astrid (the girl of his dreams), Little Pete (Astrid's autistic brother), and Edilio (the new kid in town) become the unlikely leaders of a town filled with kids no older than 14. The town is surrounded by a dome that seems to go in a complete circle and burns anyone who touches it, coyotes are talking, kids are mutating, and the kids from the Academy have moved into town and plan on taking over.

This is getting long so I'll try to be quick. A big part of my love for this story was not only the uniqueness of the situation created here, but also the character. I liked Sam, but I really wasn't too caught up on him, he was the typical modest kid who would rather remain indifferent that become responsible for all that was left of his town. My favorite characters were Quinn and Astrid. I loved the fact that Quinn turned out not to be the type of character that I was expecting. He made some... rather questionable decisions in this book and I was unprepared, I thought he would be more like Sam, and I was dead wrong. I liked Astrid because it's very rare to see a nerdy smart girl as the love interest in a book unless the book is being told from her perspective and she's trying to figure out how to make a guy like her. It was refreshing to read the hidden message that a girl can be exactly who she is, Astrid didn't dumb herself down, she never lost focus, and she was very strong in her own way. I loved it.

So those are my thoughts, I can't wait to get around to the next book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment