Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Newbie Librarian

I am a new librarian, well assistant librarian actually. With some luck I'll be completing my degree December of 2013 for young adult librarianship, but until then I'm working as a full time youth assistant librarian in West Haven, CT.

Because I'm ridiculously new to the field I don't plan to spew advice, or anything of that nature, I'm mostly documenting the beginning of my journey because I hope that one day I can look back at all of this and laugh. Until then, however, if people start to follow this thing, maybe they can help me out with advice every once in a while because goodness knows, sometimes I need it.

So to back track, I ran my very first teen book club this past Thursday and I had four kids. Now to some of you that may sound slightly pathetic, but what do you think when I tell you that no teen has attended a single event for as long as I've been working here, which has been for about five months. Suddenly four is an impressive number.

We read Hoot, well some of us did, and made picture frame collages from old magazines, and some wooden picture frames that I got from Michael's for a dollar. We talked about conservation and weather or not you would break rules to achieve something that you truly believe in, we also played some clips from the movie. The program lasted for about an hour and I'll say was pretty successful.

This months book is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. He found a ton of old black and white photos and created a story around them. You can check out his blog at  http://www.ransomriggs.com/ I'm hoping that if enough kids like the book then we can do the sequel at the end of this year. This biggest issue with these books clubs is that we're building up our clientele (so to speak) from scratch. It would be one thing if I'd inherited a group of eager readers, but alas that is not the case. instead I'm left pumping the book to every kids I can. Cross your fingers for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment