Monday, February 11, 2013

POV

So I've been doing a lot of reading lately because of this assignment I got just before Christmas. This semester I am taking another three classes because I'll be gosh darned if I don't graduate in December. One of my classes ends this week and the other two start on Monday. The assignment is for my Library Materials and Services to Young Adults class (which doesn't start until Monday). It's a loooong assignment that is suppose to expose us to various YA literature and award winners, the theory is that in order to have an idea of what materials a YA department needs, you have to read a lot of YA books. Therefor for ONE of our assignments, we have to read and review 22 books. This class is hasn't even started yet and I've been working on this assignment since December. *Sigh*. I've read 11 books so far and written reviews for 9 of them and it wasn't until I started this current book yesterday, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, that I noticed something. Every other book that I've read for this assignment (I think), was in first person POV. Why is that?

I guess I understand why most YA books are written in first person, it allows readers to connect with the characters in the story more, and we need to keep our teens engaged and connected if we want to hold on to them as they get older and their interest change.

I understand that Uglies is written in third person limited POV and that's why we only know what's going on in Tally's mind, but I really don't understand why Westerfeld didn't write the book in first person. Was it an experiment? They say that all writers should attempt to write in third person, and branch out from their comfort zone. I just don't know, but I did spend like 10 minutes pondering.

0 comments:

Post a Comment